Carnach House was built in 1913 for the Hon. Douglas Halyburton Cairns of Carnach and his wife Lady Constance Cairns. Lady Constance Cairns came from a line of Royalty with her father being the 6th Duke of Baccleuch, 12 generations previously she came from the same family as Mary Queen of Scots.
Hon Douglas Cairns was stationed at Fort George with the Seaforth Highlanders, hence the reason for the house built in Nairn.
In 1936 Hon Douglas Cairns died and Carnach House was left to his widow Lady Constance Cairns. In 1951 the house was sold and changed hands on numerous occasions. In the 70's it was run as an exclusive country house hotel and restaurant.
Ian and Hilary have owned Carnach House since 2003 and have restored the oak woodwork, taken down internal particians and restored the house to it's former glory.
Within the garden there is also a bronze aged cist that has been relocated from the east side of the house to the woodland area at the back of the house. This cist was discovered by the gardener of Hon D H Cairns who discovered a skeleton sitting or crouching inside. The slabs of the cist can be viewed and it is thought that the stone came from KIngsteps quarry 4 miles from the house.